Every cognizant Hazara knows that we have been suffering for over a decade in Quetta as the main target of religious and ethnic persecution which seems to get worse with each passing day. Our peaceful street protests have yielded no results in terms of getting our voice heard nor has it awakened the Hazaras as a nation to take practicable measures to minimize the effect of these attacks. Every responsible Hazara youth feels a sharp pain in his chest when another of his tribesman fells prey to target killing. In these years, almost every Hazara home has witnessed bloods of their martyrs who were ruthlessly murdered in broad-day light in busy and congested areas of the city. By and large, alignment, timing, velocity and fervour of these terrorist attacks have exacerbated and so have the amount, size and degree. The wave of terrorist attacks in Quetta, with its spreading wings, has engulfed lives of hundreds of innocent people, demoralizing their spirit of nationalism, alienating their brethren bond and solidarity and sowing seeds of hatred among city-dwellers. We know very well that masked men spraying bullets on innocent citizens in Quetta have widened the fraction among, otherwise, friendly and peaceful nations who had been living in Quetta for centuries with religious, ethnic and racial harmony.
Worst to mention is the role of our politicians who have done more damage to the nation then any good due to their egotist attitude as their sincerity and honesty have always been thinnest like strand of a hair. When being part of a government, they raise low-pitched slogans of justice and revenge with typically crammed obsolete self-centered phrases to pacify innocent people but, when not holding a position of responsibility in government, they speak the loudest being the only sympathisers and nationalists. We know for sure that we have not been able to raise a man of political wisdom and high stature who could be selfless, sincere and truly nationalist. The series of target killings and terrorist attacks waged against us have mentally disturbed people who think that something enormous be done to minimize human loss. They, now, draw a line beyond contribution of the single political party and the so called politicians. We have voted all Hazara candidates, campaigning hard for their win and taking them to ministerial seat with the hope that they could be a harbinger of change, standing firm and raising voice for their nation but they have failed miserably. Every Hazara political party, activist groups have been put on test to provide with a sound platform for the Hazaras to record their voice nationally and internationally but they have proved to be lethargic enough to come out of their pad.
Ironically, local and national news agencies succumb to pressure of various interest groups and anti Hazara lobbyists, giving no coverage to the victims of these terrorist attacks. In most cases, the news agencies turn their cannons towards Hazaras criticising Hazara youths overtly for expressing their anger, agitation and discontent over these ruthless killings let alone showing responsibility towards their so called professional commitments of sympathising with families of victims of target killings. It makes one wonder as to how media could turn against innocent party which would, otherwise, show great keenness in petty summer news, filled with gossip and unworthy discussion. In a matter of hours, the whole tragic scenario changes into a nightmare where the victims of terrorist attacks and target killing are not given due space in media but unending cynical media trail starts to suppress their voice and provide complete armoured shields to terrorists.
As an individual I have always stood tall, contributing with agile ideas on every sober platform, meetings and seminars as how to cope with current wave of barbaric acts of terrorism and target killings, being perpetrated against us. Some of my ideas presented at various thoughtful platforms have been restated by others on numerous occasions without giving appreciation/kudos to the original thinker. I wish ideas had patent rights like companies’ logos, monograms and designs which could prompt to reserve them under patent rights.
However, I, recently, shared some of them briefly with one of my confidant friends, who recommended that I use this platform to convey my heartfelt messages to our community which could trigger constructive conversation for their sustainable implementation to safeguard the interests of our nation wholly and minimize human loss spreading our voice to a larger part of the world.
In light of on-going cruelties against us, we may feel belittled to retaliate with arms, weapons and ammunition reciprocally as it will bear no long-lasting result. Instead, alternate routes could be adopted to capitalise our strengths and capabilities to the extent that nobody could dare hurt us the minimal. As we expect the minimum from our politicians, the single political party and other so called Hazara activitists, it is high time that youths took the reign of wisdom and mental power in their hands to take concrete steps for brilliant and scintillating future. The followings are the doable recommendations which need to be pondered over in order that our strengths be elaborated, opportunities sought, weaknesses removed and threats minimized to greater extent:
- That we need to launch our own Daily News Paper either in Urdu or English so that we do not rely on coverage of other media groups for injustice and cruelties waged against us.
- That a TV Channel could be launched to meet greater needs and demands of Hazara youths for combating terrorist acts and target killings.
- That our bureaucrats are retiring in a few years meaning that we will not have any senior bureaucrats representing the Hazaras on national level, being alarmingly worrisome as others, with position of responsibility, would fetter our voice in view of occurrence of any target killings and terrorist attacks. We need to establish a state-of-the art CSS Academy to train our youths for competitive examinations so that we don’t lag behind in executive level positions.
- That Hazaras living across the world should be mobilized to form proactive task force groups, representing Hazara nation, meeting with various human rights organisations, members of European parliament, American senators, politicians and Australian politicians and the UN to brief them on overall target killings of Hazaras with the request to exert sizeable pressure on government of Pakistan for our protection and safety.
- That a special task force group, entirely separate from the above, should be formed to meet European, Australian and American politicians, human rights organisations and the UN with the request of mass migration of Hazaras from Quetta to the above countries in light of cruelties and atrocities being perpetrated against us.
- That another Task Force Group should be formed, entirely separate and different from above two, to meet American, European And Australian politicians and educational institutions in view of our previous tremendous educational record and achievement to request them for provision scholarships to Hazara youths in various subjects.
- That a Relief Fund could be set up for families of the victims of to target killings and terrorist attacks.
- That Career Counselling Body, comprising of proactive but totally separate from the members of staff of CSS Academy, be formed to guide Hazara youths towards admission into genuine educational institutions for acquiring higher education. This group should also provide help and support and counselling to all students at Matric level in choosing the right path for their future course of study to be more helpful for the nation.
These are a few points which need to be worked upon on priority basis which will be beneficial in minimizing human loss, alter others views in target killing Hazaras.
Liaquat Ali Hazara